The Startled Nymph
The Startled Nymph
By: jbhthescots@mac.com, Categories: Words & Images, Comments Off on The Startled Nymph

untitled-134-Edit

 

Originally used as a Winter Garden for concerts and important events, the Kibble Palace was the venue for the inaugural meeting of that august body, the British Association of Science, during its visit to Glasgow in 1876, and for both Disraeli and Gladstone’s Addresses as Rectors of Glasgow University.

 

The Botanical Collection was started in 1881 when the Royal Botanic Institution bought out the lease. Today the Kibble houses flora from the Temperate Zones, including Southern Africa, Australia, New Zealand, South America, North America, China, Japan, the Mediterranean, the Canaries and Madeira.

 

But it isn’t just exotic plant there, because it also houses some wonderful Victorian statues – and the first you encounter is a startled nymph inside the glass dome: the magnificent marble statue of Eve, c.1880 by the Italian sculptor Scipione Tadolini, that’s the centrepiece of the Kibble. This is one of eight white marble pieces which were moved from Kelvingrove Museum to the Kibble in the 1930s.

 

Leica M3 & 4/21 Super Angulon
Sekonic L-308S
Ilford FP4+ (@125)
HC-110 (Dil. B – 7 min)
Plustek 7600i & Vuescan

Likes(13)Dislikes(0)